Accounting TechnicianMay 31 2022
Since 1971, RDM Lawyers LLP has grown to become one of Abbotsford’s largest law firms. RDM Lawyers is committed to providing quality legal services to our community, guided by our core values of integrity, professionalism, and client service.
For over 50 years, RDM lawyers have been helping families, homeowners, businesses and Fraser Valley residents with all their legal needs. Located in Abbotsford, we’re a full-service law firm providing legal advice, assistance and advocacy in virtually all areas of BC law including personal injury, family law, real estate law, business law, will and estate planning, and mediation services, civil litigation, employment law and estate litigation. So, whether it is starting a family, planning for the future or preparing for the unexpected in life, we’re here to help you every step of the way.
For more information, please visit https://rdmlawyers.com/
We are looking for an Accounting Technician to join our very busy Department. If you are detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task, take initiative, work independently and stay organized with excellent computer and communication skills with the ability to provide exceptional service while working in a high-paced environment then this job is for you !!!
Ensures the proper processing of all trust and general bank monies and transactions in an accurate and timely manner.
- Prepares and records trust cheques for daily bank deposits, ensuring information is accurate and complete.
- Confirms that direct deposits to our trust banks are credited to our bank account before processing the receipt and disbursement of funds in our system.
- Posts trust deposits daily in the computer system.
- Reviews trust banks daily to ensure deposits were correctly credited and that there are no unexplained charges or credits
- Receives trust requisitions and creates and records cheques for disbursement to appropriate parties.
Processes incoming Accounts Receivable cheques according to the firm’s established procedures.
- Receives A/R payments from the trust, and via mail or direct deposit, then records and prepares daily general bank deposit.
- Reviews general bank online daily to ensure the prior day’s deposit was credited and there are no unexplained charges or credits
- Posts A/R deposits daily in the computer system.
Ensures the proper processing of general disbursements related to client files.
- Receives general cheque requests, and verifies that disbursement and PST amounts are posted accurately to client files.
- Prepares cheques, secure appropriate signatures and distributes as required.
- Provides timely service to staff by ensuring that cheque requests are processed within 2 business days.
Ensures all RDM bank accounts are reconciled monthly
- Monitors bank records within 30 days of the month-end to ensure they match with RDM records. Identifies discrepancies and makes corrections as necessary to balance accounts, adhering to Law Society Rules.
- Notifies the Administrator immediately of any discrepancies in the bank accounts or errors which need to be corrected and reported to the Law Society.
- Identifies and cancels outdated cheques and investigates before re-issue.
Processes Accounts Payables for all RDM related companies
- Codes and posts all non-client file-related invoices for payment.
- Prepares and disburses cheques twice monthly or as required.
Records lawyers’ expense activity for tax purposes and internal analysis
- Processes lawyer’s business-related Visa statements, tracking and coding expenses appropriately. Ensures all expenses have backup receipts, have been posted to client files when appropriate, and prepares cheque for Visa payment monthly.
- Prepares monthly Visa summary spreadsheets for each lawyer with meaningful breakdowns for analysis purposes.
Performs various other accounting-related activities such as general filing, posting of invoices and responding to inquiries from internal and external parties.
Core Competencies & Qualifications
- Ability to multitask
- Communication skills – effective listening, written and oral skills
- Numerical accuracy
- Proofing and editing skills
- Attention to detail and consistency in the process
- Time management and organizational skills
- Client focused approach to dealing with internal and external customers
- Ability to maintain composure during stressful situations due to workload or deadlines
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for the job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
RDM thrives in a culture of respect, awesome service and teamwork, and the right candidate for the position will embrace these values. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, and a friendly and supportive environment to work in.
Click HERE to submit your resume.
For an insight into our unique culture, please take a few minutes to review this video: